Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas 2003,

Sometimes, I find Christmas when I least expect it. It was the Saturday before Christmas and I had too much to do. In an attempt to not be stressed, I had my time planned and my day organized. I was determined to be at peace. 

One of the things on my list was a trip to the local pet store to buy gifts for the furry members of our family. When I called my friend Peggy with my itinerary, she agreed but added that she wanted to go to Mass on the way. What? I had too much to do. Did I have the time? Peggy pointed out it would take half an hour at the most. I got off the phone grumpy and conflicted. Soon I realized how silly I was being. I mean one always has time for God, right? Doesn’t He always make time for me?


As we arrived at Holy Innocents church in Neptune, I was surprised to see that the chapel was full; in fact we got the last two seats together. As we sat down, a young man behind me began to sing a hymn; I looked to see what he was singing and joined him. He had a  beautiful voice. It was a pleasure to sing with him. When we finished, I expected the priest to enter; however he didn’t. I began to wonder what was going on, when I heard a whisper “How about 536? How Great Thou Art?”

I nodded and soon my friend Peggy's pretty voice joined us. It was as if we had practiced singing together, it just seemed to float above us. It was an amazing gift to me. I love to sing in praise of God and had been sad the night before because I hadn’t done any singing this year.
As we continued to make our way through a few Christmas hymns, I looked around and smiled as more people in the chapel began singing in worship of our Lord. I felt such awe that God had used the three of us to create a setting of worship. He quietly slipped in a moment of meditation and praise on this busy Saturday before Christmas.

Eventually the priest arrived and we proceeded with Mass. When we got to the kiss of Peace and on the communion line, I noticed that everyone was smiling at us. After Mass, many people came over to us and thanked us for being such a gift to them. They were so glad and grateful.

If they only knew that I was the one who was grateful. I had gotten my best Christmas present a few days before Christmas. It came in the shape of a stopped moment - one that I had almost missed. I was reminded, as I seem to be every year, that you don’t make Christmas, it finds you when you least expect it.  Be at peace, God’s gift is being prepared for you!

May the grace and peace of the Lord find you this Christmas.

Love 

Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment